Enjoy the colorful and delicious tastes of Chicken Chilaquiles Verde, a traditional Mexican meal that combines succulent chicken with crunchy tortillas and a zesty green salsa.
Chilaquiles are a popular Mexican breakfast or brunch dish, and this recipe for them includes succulent chicken to round out the meal.
Chicken Chilaquiles Verde is a dish that will quickly get to the top of your list of favorites due to the wonderful harmony of its tastes and textures.
Get ready for the delicious and soothing flavor of Mexico with this recipe.
chicken chilaquiles verde
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooking utensils (spatula, tongs)
- Baking dish
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) tomatillos, drained
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- Toppings: crumbled queso fresco, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the chicken breasts until they are fully cooked and tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the water and let them cool slightly. Once cooled, shred the chicken using two forks or your hands.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the chopped onion, minced garlic, tomatillos, jalapeño pepper, fresh cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend until you have a smooth and vibrant green salsa.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cut the tortillas into wedges or strips and fry them in batches until they become crispy and golden brown. Remove from the skillet and drain them on paper towels.
- In the same skillet, add a bit more oil if needed and sauté the shredded chicken until it is heated through. Pour the green salsa over the chicken and stir to coat it evenly. Cook for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the crispy tortilla chips to the skillet with the chicken and salsa mixture. Gently toss everything together, ensuring that the tortilla chips are well coated with the salsa.
- Transfer the Chicken Chilaquiles Verde to serving plates or a large platter. Top with crumbled queso fresco, sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream.
Nutritions (per serving)
Tips and Variations for chicken chilaquiles verde
1.Customize the Spice Level
You may control the spiciness of your Chilaquiles Verde by adjusting the amount of jalapeo peppers you use.
If you want your salsa to have less of a kick, cut out the seeds and membranes from the jalapeo before adding it.
Keep the seeds and ribs in there, or sprinkle over some cayenne pepper, for more heat.
2.Add Extra Vegetables
Add more veggies to boost the dish’s nutritional value and taste.
Add some color by sautéing some corn kernels, chopped zucchini, or diced bell peppers with the onions and garlic.
Your Chilaquiles Verde will be vibrant with color and textured with this addition.
3.Crispy Cheese Topping
Before baking or broiling, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the Chilaquiles Verde, such queso fresco or Monterey Jack.
This produces a layer that is both cheesy and crunchy, which is a welcome addition to the meal.
4.Make it Creamy
Add a dollop of sour cream or Mexican crema to the green salsa for a creamier version before serving it with the chicken and tortilla chips.
The creaminess enhances the whole flavor with a velvety texture.
5.Try Different Proteins
Although chicken is often used, Chilaquiles Verde can be made with whatever protein you choose.
You may put your own spin on this classic by swapping out the chicken with cooked and shredded pork, beef, or even shrimp.
6.Garnish with Fresh Ingredients
Garnish your Chilaquiles Verde with fresh ingredients immediately before serving for a burst of taste and color.
Top with thinly sliced radishes or diced tomatoes and a drizzle of fresh lime juice.
The savory and acidic tastes of the meal are complemented by the burst of freshness provided by the garnishes.
7.Use Homemade Tortilla Chips
To be sure, store-bought tortilla chips will do the trick, but if you want to take your Chilaquiles Verde to the next level, try creating your own tortilla chips from scratch.
To make crispy corn tortilla triangles, cut tortillas into triangles, spray with oil, and bake.
This guarantees that your tortilla chips are as fresh and crunchy as possible, elevating your cuisine to new heights.
8.Make it a Brunch Buffet:
Set up a Chilaquiles Verde bar if you’re having people around for brunch.
Spread out a spread of condiments and toppings like diced avocado, pickled jalapeos, sour cream, spicy sauce, and chopped onions.
A pleasant and engaging dining experience may be created by letting visitors choose their own toppings for their dishes.
Make Chicken Chilaquiles Verde your own by experimenting with these techniques and modifications and having fun in the process.
Savor the wonderful taste of this traditional Mexican dish and take pleasure in its balanced blend of tastes and textures.
Serving suggestions for chicken chilaquiles verde
- Fried Eggs:For a traditional Mexican touch, serve your Chicken Chilaquiles Verde with a fried egg on top of each portion. The runny yolk adds richness and a silky texture to the dish.
- Refried Beans:Accompany the Chilaquiles Verde with a side of refried beans. The creamy and savory beans complement the tangy and crispy elements of the dish.
- Fresh Salsa:Salsa made with diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeos, cilantro, lime juice, and salt can be served alongside the Chicken Chilaquiles Verde. The dish gets a jolt of flavor from the fresh salsa.
- Mexican Rice: Complete your meal with a side of Mexican rice. The fluffy and flavorful rice pairs well with the chicken and adds a satisfying element to the overall dining experience.
The Mexican cuisine of Chicken Chilaquiles Verde strikes the ideal balance between the dish’s various textures and flavors.
This dish is a wonderful pleasure for the taste buds with its soft shredded chicken, crisp tortillas, tangy green salsa, and many garnishes.
Chicken Chilaquiles Verde, whether eaten for breakfast, brunch, or any other meal of the day, will whisk you away to the lively plazas of Mexico City.
Gather the necessary items, follow the easy instructions, and enjoy a delicious meal of chicken and chilaquiles verde.
FAQs about chicken chilaquiles verde
1.Can I make the green salsa ahead of time?
Absolutely! The green salsa will keep well in the fridge for up to three days if stored in an airtight container. You can now speed up the process of making chicken chilaquiles verde.
2.Can I use store-bought tortilla chips instead of frying my own?
You can use tortilla chips from the grocery store if you like. However, fresh and crisp tortilla chips are achieved by frying them yourself. If you’re going to buy chips, look for a solid variety that won’t get soggy from the salsa.
3.Can I make this dish vegetarian?
Absolutely! To make this green salsa vegetarian, just leave out the chicken and thin it with veggie broth or water. To make it vegetarian-friendly, simply add your preferred vegetables, such as maize, bell peppers, or zucchini.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?