Chilaquiles Rojos Con Huevo is a delicious Mexican breakfast dish that will wake you up with a jolt of taste and heat.
Crispy tortilla chips are the base of this classic breakfast dish, which also incorporates a fried egg, fresh herbs, and creamy avocado on top of a generous helping of red salsa.
The perfect balance of textures and flavors in every bite will have you begging for more.
Let’s get started on this delicious recipe and spice up our morning meal.
chilaquiles rojos con huevo
- Large skillet or frying pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Cooking utensils (spatula, tongs)
- Baking dish or casserole dish
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup red salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco (or feta cheese)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, sliced jalapeños, hot sauce
- In a large skillet, heat the red salsa over medium heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently fold in the tortilla chips, making sure they are well-coated with the salsa. Allow them to simmer in the salsa for about 3-4 minutes, until they soften slightly but still maintain some crunch.
- In a separate non-stick skillet, fry the eggs to your preferred doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, divide the chilaquiles among plates or serving bowls. Top each portion with a fried egg and sprinkle with diced onion, chopped cilantro, crumbled queso fresco, and avocado slices. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the dish for a tangy finish.
- Serve the Chilaquiles Rojos con Huevo immediately while still warm and enjoy the flavorsome combination of textures and tastes.
Nutritions (per serving)
Tips and Variations:
1.Customize the Heat Level
Chilaquiles Rojos can be made milder or hotter by adjusting the amount of chili peppers used in the red salsa.
If you don’t like things to be too spicy, you can get rid of the chili pepper’s seeds and membranes before using them. Add some heat with some serrano or habanero peppers, for example.
2.Homemade Tortilla Chips
While store-bought tortilla chips would do in a pinch, creating your own at home is the key to truly exceptional Chilaquiles Rojos.
You can make these tasty triangles by cutting corn tortillas into triangles, brushing them with oil, sprinkling them with salt, and baking them in a preheated oven.
This will give your food a new and genuine flavor.
Add meat or beans to your Chilaquiles Rojos for added substance.
In addition to the tortilla chips, you can also add shredded chicken, cooked chorizo, or grilled shrimp.
This ingredient makes the dish hearty and satisfying.
4.Experiment with Toppings
Feel free to experiment with different topping combinations to find ones you like best.
You may top it with some guacamole, sour cream, sliced radishes, pickled onions, crumbled cotija cheese, or sliced radishes.
These condiments will give your Chilaquiles Rojos a new dimension of flavor and texture.
5.Use Different Types of Eggs
Chilaquiles rojos are traditionally made with fried eggs, but you can switch things up by using a different style of egg.
Either poached or scrambled eggs can be a tasty alternative to fried eggs, each with its own unique texture and flavor profile.
Try several things until you find the method of egg cooking that you like best.
6.Make it Gluten-Free
If you’re on a gluten-free diet, you should only eat gluten-free tortilla chips.
Corn tortillas, unlike flour tortillas, contain no gluten and can be baked or fried to make homemade tortilla chips.
If you don’t have tortilla chips on hand for your Chilaquiles Rojos, you can use leftover tortillas instead.
Just slice them into strips, toast them in the oven until they’re crispy, and use them in place of the chips.
You can save money and avoid throwing away perfectly good ingredients by doing this.
Add diced potatoes, bell peppers, and onions to the skillet with the tortilla chips to make a substantial morning hash.
Combine all ingredients and sauté until the potatoes are golden and soft.
This variant provides your food with additional texture and a satiating aspect.
Keep in mind that the purpose of these suggestions is to get your creative juices flowing so that you may make the Chilaquiles Rojos exactly how you like them.
Feel free to put your own spin on things and try new things. Savor the deliciousness of this perfectly cooked chicken tenderloin.
Serving suggestions for chilaquiles rojos con huevo
- Traditional Mexican Breakfast: In Mexico, breakfast usually consists of chilaquiles rojos with huevo. Complete a hearty morning meal with warm corn tortillas, Mexican rice, and refried beans.
- Brunch Buffet: Set out a breakfast buffet with a wide selection of toppings and side dishes so that your guests may create their own Chilaquiles Rojos. Provide toppings like fresh jalapeo slices, sour cream, hot sauce, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro for those who want their food spicy or extra flavorful.
- Breakfast Burrito: You can make breakfast burritos by enclosing the Chilaquiles Rojos with Huevo in a warm flour tortilla and adding scrambled eggs, refried beans, and cheese. It’s a handy and transportable option for sampling the flavors whenever you like.
- Vegetarian Variation:Instead of a fried egg, vegetarians can add sautéed veggies like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms to their chilaquiles. For even more protein, try adding some black beans.
Breakfast of Chilaquiles Rojos with Huevo will take your taste buds on a trip to the colorful streets of Mexico.
This delicious breakfast will certainly liven up your day with its crunchy tortilla chips, tangy red salsa, flawlessly fried eggs, and wonderful garnishes.
Chilaquiles Rojos con Huevo, whether eaten as part of a typical Mexican breakfast or as a brunch buffet option, is a wonderful way to taste the rich and authentic flavors of Mexican cuisine.
Here’s how to take your morning meal to the next level of deliciousness and enjoyment:
1.Can I make the red salsa from scratch?
Absolutely! You can adjust the seasonings and heat by making your own red salsa from scratch.
To make a salsa that really pops, all you need are a few fresh ingredients: tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chili peppers like jalapenos or serranos.
It’s as easy as blending everything together and then simmering it until it reaches the desired consistency.
2.Can I use green salsa instead of red salsa?
If you want to try something new, try salsa verde, or green salsa.
Green salsa is a type of salsa that is created with tomatillos and green chili peppers.
It has a tangy, somewhat acidic flavor that goes great with the chips.
3.Can I make Chilaquiles Rojos ahead of time?
The tortilla chips in chilaquiles are at their crispiest when they are served immediately after being made.
On the other hand, the ingredients for the red salsa can be prepared ahead of time.
Heat the salsa, sprinkle it over the chips, and then cook the eggs right before you’re ready to serve.
In this manner, you can have a satisfying morning meal without having to get up early.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?